Taking Care of Yourself First
We’ve to take care of ourselves before we can take care of others.
The truth is we have 1000 things going on every single day. And most of us are rescuers, we’re taking care of other people in situations, in our own business, our staff, our family, our pets, our home—everything is being taken care of, except often, ourselves.
How to Take Care of Yourself First
- Do it on a daily basis or plan in your calendar – time out! Take a break, get some rest for yourself first
- Take a walk in nature during the day or during your break, if possible,
- Get outside in the sunshine, If the weather is permitting. When you are out in the sunshine, you will get a fresh view of life.
- Play with your pets as often as possible. Pets can reduce your stress and give you love too.
- Surround yourself with people who are positive and uplifting and tell fantastic jokes. Being happy can work wonders in your life.
- Laugh more – Did you know that the average child laughs over 400 times a day and the average human adult only laughs about 12 times a day.
- Keep yourself healthy, excited and enthusiastic and be really creative. When you do that, things will often take care of themselves.
On a weekly basis, I do things for myself that allow me to write books, travel extensively, run a business and have a successful marriage and have a happy life. Because I have to learn to put myself first. If I do not take care of myself, I cannot take care of other people. That’s a very hard-learned thing for me.
I’m a recovering people pleaser. Meaning that I used to do things to get people to love me. Now I realize people are going to love you or they’re not going to love you. And it really has very little to do with you.
But what and how you feel about yourself daily can make such a difference on your output, on your creativity, on your productivity, on your performance.
So are you scheduling in play time? Are you scheduling in time to read, to nurture your mind or in lifetime learning? Are you scheduling in time in nature? Are you scheduling in date nights, and time with your loved ones and family dinners? Are you scheduling in fun for yourself, whatever fun may be for you?
I took up art a few years ago, and I am now an oil painter and an acrylic painter. And I’m not trying to sell my painting because that would only cause stress, I give most of my paintings away. But on a regular basis a couple of days a week. Late in the afternoon when I have clocked out of my mental work. I go and paint because that stimulates my creativity and allows “me” time.
So on a regular basis, if you’re not scheduling time for yourself, if you’re not scheduling fun time, please let this be a reminder that one must love oneself first.
To be a great entrepreneur, a great parent, a great spouse, a great anything, that if you’re not taking time for you and loving you, I promise you, you’re going to burn out. And when you burn out, you’re gonna cause yourself massive stress, money, and time and energy.
So be proactive, be prescriptive. Ask yourself right now, “What are the things that I could do, starting this week, that would give me relax time, joy time, fun time, and tap into different brain sites in my brain versus the same things that I’ve been thinking about?”
Open your life to adventure, because life will be fun, and only you can take charge of your life and do that for yourself.
Another great way to take care of yourself is to learn how to overcome your Bad Habits—your Unproductive Behaviors that can Jeopardize Your Relationships, Self–Esteem, Health, Weight, Financial Security, and Happiness.
You can learn the Secret to Taking Control of Your Life Again with Lee Milteer’s Overcoming Unproductive Behaviors System digital download here: https://store.milteer.com/products/overcoming-unproductive-behaviors-digital