Here’s the STUFF DIET (for your home and office)!
This is the third part in our Free Yourself from Too Much Stuff Series. As promised in last week’s newsletter, here’s how to put your home and office on a “Stuff Diet.” You’ll want to take these suggestions and modify them to best fit your personality and style:
• Create a holding place for things to be released. (I personally set up a place in my garage, although it can be a spare room or anyplace you can allow things to gather for a week or so. I like to do it this way because, if you are really not ready to part with something, you have a grace period and won’t regret letting it go.)
• Subdivide your holding place for items you want to sell, donate to charity, give away, or trash.
• Use big baskets, bins, or large strong boxes.
• Label them STORAGE, SELL, DONATE, THROW AWAY, and RECYCLE.
• It’s important to get everyone on board. Make a commitment to releasing things by deciding how many things per week everyone will commit to releasing.
• Everyone should have a DAILY GOAL. For example, something has to go each day. It can be as little as a pen that no longer works, but everyone must play the game.
Establish a Reward and Accountably System
Set up a system where you can take things to sell to consignment shops, or donate to Charity, and have the old trash removed. This follow-up phase is especially important. Do not just let this old stuff hang around and become another burden.
The goal is to find reasons to motivate your family or staff to release unwanted and unneeded things.
For example: Kids love contests, so whoever can release the most gets a prize or special privilege. It could be anything from staying up later or a PJ party to horseback riding lessons. Try to reward with experiences, not more material things.
Customize the reward so that it’s something that makes them want to let go of the unneeded stuff. Remember, we are all just big kids so find ways to reward and motivate every person who is on the “STUFF DIET!”
If you want to find a great place to really get motivated, start by eliminating the things from your house and life that have EXPIRED!!! You could give a prize to whoever finds the oldest item! You’ll be surprised at how many things like food, over the counter medications, and prescription drugs you have laying around that are past their sell-by dates. This will be an eye-opener for how unconscious you’ve been about the amount of time you’ve had things!
There is nothing in this world that feels quite the same as looking around your home or office and seeing it in order. On the other hand, there’s nothing more energy-draining than living with clutter.
I want you to live every day with the peace of mind that results from having your home OR office exactly the way you want it: where you are in control of your stuff, and not the other way around. Do you own it or does it own you?
Your new motto:
If It Doesn’t Serve a Purpose, have Meaning, or Monetary Value—OUT IT MUST GO!
Up Next: Part 4 of Free Yourself from Too Much Stuff
Performance and Productivity Coach
Millionaire Smarts Coach
Overcoming Unproductive Behaviors is On Sale for 50% off during May PLUS FREE SHIPPING. Click here to find out what others say about the program that helped them replace bad habits with new, productive ones, putting them on the path to their lifestyle goals.
P.S.P.S. Sign up for some one-on-one coaching with Lee to achieve your big Life Goals! For more information visit our coaching web page at www.milteer.com, or email [email protected]. Lee is also available to speak at your virtual or live events, contact us for booking details.